One of the major medical problems in our country is diabetes. While diabetes itself is a problem, it causes diamage to many parts of our body including the eyes. Diabetes Retinopathy usually affects the retina.
Signs and symptoms
- There is no visible sign or pain etc, initially
- At later stage, blurred vision
- Seeing floaters (Dark spots) or black lines
- Regular check-up and medication to keep blood sugar under control is the best prevention for diabetic retinopathy
- All those who have diabetes must get their eyes-checked from time to rule out retinopathy, even if their blood sugar is under control.
- The damage already caused is irreversible
- Medical treatment for diabetes can help to stop or delay progression of the diabetic retinopathy